20 July 2009

Pork and Chinese Chive Wonton Bites

When I was in college, I was a potsticker junkie. I used to buy those giant, bulky bags of pork dumplings and fry them up while pulling all-nighters, and at times I still get nostalgic for them. Even though I generally don't eat a lot of fried food (or sweet food for that matter--notice that I don't blog about cakes or cookies very often?) every now and then a little indulgence can't be a sin, now can it? Quiet, cardiologists in the corner.


So what do you do when the time comes to indulge a little?


First, make your husband fry up 3/4 lb. of natural pork. Make sure he makes the cutest silly faces whilst in the process. Once it's almost cooked through, make husband add about 1/2 a head of finely diced bok choy, 1/4 cup finely chopped Chinese chives, 2 tsp. grated ginger, 3 tbsp. finely minced onion, and 2 finely minced garlic cloves.








Next, instruct husband to remove the pork mixture from heat and let cool.


Once cool, make your husband assist you in placing about a tsp. (no more than 1 1/2 tsp.) of filling in the middle of each wonton wrapper.






When closing the wrappers, take the opposite corners of the square and squeeze together so the wonton is sealed, and then do the same with the opposite corners. This is just how I do it; if you want alternative wrapping methods or photo tutorials, I would recommend this site. I'm not too good at the wrapping technique, but go ahead and hone your chops.


If you won't be pan frying these babies for awhile, place a damp paper towel over them so they won't dry out.


Next, heat about 4 tbsp. vegetable oil in a large skillet. If you're like me, you'll use grapeseed oil instead because you like its high smoke point and because you just plain felt like it. Once good and hot, add your wontons in batches (or, go ahead and crowd the pan. I did, and I won't tell if you don't) and let cook until the bottoms of the wontons appear golden. Flip them on their sides if you like to continue cooking, or simply add about a 1/2 inch of water so the wontons steam for a few minutes. Remove from heat and enter college nostalgic moment.




Serve with a mixture of soy sauce, sesame oil and chopped green onions for dipping.


Then, eat!!

2 comments:

Jessica@FoodMayhem said...

I was just saying to Lon the other day that I lived on dumplings through college. I wish I had some of these to help me with long papers.

EMC said...

After making that batch yesterday, I finished a long overdue writing project, and I have to credit these dumplings.