21 July 2009

Egg-less Egg Salad Sandwiches


I adore egg salad sandwiches. If it weren't so bad for me, I would eat them every single day. I would even happily eat them twice a day, although I'm sure too much of a good thing might not be as appealing as it is in my mind.


Nonetheless, a long time ago I started experimenting with mock egg salad and was excited to find so many different recipes and tips online. After gathering advice from all over and trying out a few dozen recipes (and with some serious tweaking) I settled on a recipe that I can't really credit to any one source.


If you're like me and really enjoy a good egg salad but are concerned for nutrition, give this recipe a shot. Silken firm tofu perfectly replicates the texture of hard boiled egg whites, and to be honest, I don't even miss real eggs anymore. Another plus is that when made with Veganaise, the sandwich is a nice filling vegan snack.



Egg-less Egg Salad

1 package silken firm tofu, carefully diced
1 1/2 tsp. mustard powder or 2 tsp. whole grain mustard
1/2 tsp. turmeric
2 tbl. pickle relish
4 tbl. Veganaise or Extra Virgin Olive Oil mayo
1 tsp. minced fresh dill
1 tsp. lemon juice

Directions
1. Combine all ingredients carefully in a medium size bowl, gently folding with a spatula so as not to break tofu pieces.
2. Cover with plastic wrap or move to container storage, and refrigerate for at least one hour before eating.


No comments: