27 July 2009

Beeler's Natural Pork, Fontina and Mizuna Panini and Arugula Salad with Grilled Peaches





It may be quite pricey, but this past Sunday shopping trip, Ian and I couldn't resist buying half a ham of Beeler's All Natural Pork from the Moscow Co-Op. They don't have a deli slicer in the meat area, so we used Ian's trusty work slicer to slice up some of the best deli meat I've had in a long time. Sometimes I forget that deli meat actually tastes like meat, and without all the preservatives that make deli slices slimy (shudder) I couldn't resist taking tiny bits from the fridge all night.


The Co-Op also sells a wonderful salted French bread that I just knew would be perfect for panini. With the help of a little Fontina, some of the very fresh mizuna I picked up the farmer's market, caramelized local Walla Walla sweet onions, a dab of Veganase and stone ground mustard, I had a serious monster of a sandwich on my hands.


I also picked up some very juicy local peaches at the farmer's market and decided to grill them up and serve them on a bed of arugula, along with chopped fresh almonds, cherry tomatoes, and a mixture of balsamic vinegar, honey and olive oil (which I basted the peaches with after grilling).


This was one fantastic, almost entirely local meal on a beautiful summer day!


No comments: