29 May 2008

Flank Steak: Or, What to Do With a Big Slab of Beef


Ever since I was a kid, I have loved flank steak. While other kids begged to go to Chuck E. Cheese for their birthday, I requested my mom's succulent, beautifully cooked flank steak and baked potatoes. While other kids couldn't wait for sweet chocolate birthday cake, I was always too full to even think about rainbow chip icing, due to the giant plate of cow that took up residence in my wee little tummy.


So when the local grocery market had a pretty cheap (what does that mean these days, really??) cut on display, I leapt at it like a wild dog. To my amazement, the husband didn't even know what flank steak was. I was determined to show my crazily carnivorous companion how wonderful my youthful obsession could be after a marination session that lasted all day.


Using fresh ginger, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, green onions and a bit of brown sugar, I wrapped that slab o' heaven up in a ziplock bag and proceeded to spend the rest of the day resisting the urge to consume raw meat. Once fully infused with a scent that faithfully invoked my childhood memories of extreme meat elation, I made a quick stir fry using tastes-like-egg noodles, baby bok choy, sugar snap peas and other garden treasures (yes, the love affair with the garden continues), and the husband grilled my obsession to medium rare perfection. I added a sliced avocado on the side of the plate since my favorite fruit has occupied my plate almost daily since childhood. In true "me" fashion, I searched for the least done pieces of the flank steak and embarked on a culinary trip down memory lane. The husband seemed proud when the red juices flowed down my face and I didn't bother to wipe them.
Flank Steak Marinade
1 tsp. fresh ginger
3 tbl. reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
2 green onions, diced, mostly white parts
1 tsp. brown sugar
Directions: Place all ingredients in large zip-lock bag with flank steak, after trimming any visible fat. Marinade for at least 4 hours (I always prepare it in the morning before I teach). Once ready to grill, remove steak and discard leftover marinade. Be sure to remove all pieces of green onion from steak, as they will cook onto and char the steak.

2 comments:

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

I prefer flank and skirt steak to several more expensive cuts...something about the ribbed texture, maybe cause it soaks up marinade well? Delicious!

Madame K said...

This is one of my favorite ways to eat beef - it feels so virtuous somehow.
Love the Asian flavors!