23 March 2009

Tuna and beer (yes, you read that right)

After the rich food overload of the winter months, Ian and I had been craving something a little lighter. I've had quite the miracle food breakthrough with my picky eater husband as of late, and since I'd already introduced him to scallops (something he *refused* to try when we first started dating) and the wonders of mahi mahi, I decided it was time for the mecca: seared tuna steaks.



















Luckily, the Clarkston Costco is a hop, skip and a jump away from one of my other jobs (it will be wonderful if one day I just had *one* job) so I hopped on over for a seafood special they had going a few weeks back. For three tuna steaks, locally produced (er, 350-400 miles local, that is) I only paid $10.50. I believe I even skipped out the door until someone in a cowboy hat gave me the "that's unlady-like" look. Damn you, Idaho.



In addition to the light dinner we prepared for a lazy Sunday afternoon, we also happened to find a new beer offered at our local Moscow Co-Op: He'Brew Pomegranate Ale. As a Jewish person in the middle of Christian nowhere, I believe I also did a little skip to the car. Until some hippie in Moscow gave me the "oh dear that's so uncool" look. I can't win in Idaho. 0-2.

















The combination of He'brew and tuna steak salads was just the spring pick-me-up I needed, and even though he seemed a bit apprehensive biting into pieces of rare tuna, I think Ian might agree. The Origin Pomegranate Ale had a little bite to it, which was a great companion to the Cajun seasoned steaks. Even though we only dressed the greens in a little balsamic and olive oil, the fresh ground black pepper lightly sprinkled on top was like gefilte fish to this girl's soul.













































Seared Tuna Salad
(Note: Salad greens and veggies are not listed because....it's a salad. You know what you will eat!)


2-3 thick tuna steaks
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 tbl. olive oil


1. Pat steaks with the pre-mixture of spices listed above and cook in a skillet with olive oil on medium-high for 1 1/2 minutes on each side (rare), or cook until desired. Serve over greens and veggies (only you know what you like!) drizzled with good quality balsamic, olive oil and a sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper.

9 comments:

Melissa Gasparotto said...

Ooh! I've wanted to try the pomegranate ale. I've tried the Genesis Ale, which is good but doesn't really have anything exciting going on.

EMC said...

I am in love with the hoppy-ness. The Pom Ale just added a little bite to the hop, so I *highly* recommend it.

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

What's wrong with skipping? Don't let them hold you down.

Unknown said...

Hey there. This is Zak from Shmaltz Brewing Company, the makers of HE'BREW. I'm really glad you enjoyed the Origin Pomegranate Ale. I love it too and it really does lend itself to being consumed with food. I'd never really considered pairing it with tuna, but the cajun seasoning would definitely complement it nicely. Thanks again. L'Chaim!!

EMC said...

Jessica--I happily skip, and sometimes I even throw in a goofy face.


Zak--Thanks for stopping by, and you really should try it with tuna. Your brewing company is now my favorite!

Unknown said...

Blogs don't get enough credit. Just trying to show appreciation where appreciation is due.

Joie de vivre said...

He'brew. That is funny. These steaks look just wonderful wonderful! This is my first time on your site, I'm so glad I visited!

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

I love tuna-I usually make a sort of scrambled dish(Indian Style).

EMC said...

Joie de vivre--Thanks so much for coming by! I love your site too!

Sweta--I'm intrigued! I'm always looking for ways to prepare tuna, so I think I'll be hitting you up!