25 April 2008

What to do with leftover mashed potatoes




I made tons of mashed potatoes earlier this week, and I had no idea what to do with them beyond shepards pie (which I admit was tempting, but invoked memories of snow that I have trying to repress for weeks). So I shaped them into cakes since there was too much to make potato balls with, added turmeric, garam masala and frozen peas, and rolled them in wholegrain mustard and panko. I might also mention that in order to ensure the mashed potato didn't overcome the panko crust and fall apart, I froze the cakes for about 20 minutes before rolling them in breadcrumbs. Then I fried those tasty little morsels. Yum. Next time I make them I think I'll use egg to bind the panko.
Served them with lentils and spinach with curried coconut sauce and mango salsa. I make my mango salsa with basil, cucumber, honey and lime juice.



Sorry if one of the photos is a little shaky--my camera isn't very high tech (it's a little too much like it's owner...)

No comments: