07 December 2008

In which I eat meatloaf...again...



Classes have ended and all that's left to do is grade and fulfill some last minute duties before I can focus solely on the diss and writing projects that have been gathering dust in my office. So what's the perfect food to celebrate the end while fueling me for lingering tasks? Why, meatloaf of course!

I've raved about the culinary yumminess that is the Moscow Co-Op for some time now, and I'd have to say their meatloaves are my favorite. If I had the time, I would make my own but alas, I still do not, and husband still asks too many questions to make the dish on his own ("Honey, is this too much Worcestershire?" "Did I mix the meat enough, honey?"). This time around we tried the Gorgonzola and Sun Dried Tomato Meatloaf made from ground buffalo. Buffalo has been pretty cheap in these parts as of late, and at one point I found it was actually (on sale) cheaper than ground beef, pork or turkey.

While this meatloaf was smokier than other versions we've tried from the Co-Op, the combination of sun dried tomatoes and gorgonzola with meat was not their best. I'm still loving the Amanda's Bacon Ranch Meatloaf, which the meat manager informed us was his grandmother's recipe--they don't make 'em like they used to!

We also picked up a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, which was EXCELLENT. Very rich and full bodied, but with a dish like meatloaf, it paired well and the texture didn't overpower the meat. In fact, despite its stoutness, it was less filling than Guinness or this very very very rich chocolate stout I tried once. I'd definitely drink it again, despite the fact that its import price tag is a bit hefty these days.


The other reason to curl up with a nice, tall stout? Snow. Lots and lots of beautiful Palouse snow. Perhaps I'll take up that task when I'm not grading papers (Think drunk dialing is dangerous? Try DRUNK GRADING!)

4 comments:

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

Maybe you could give your students an extra credit assignment....making dinner.

EMC said...

Ha! I think they might prefer that to writing papers, and I might prefer it to grading them...

miss jacobs if you're nasty. said...

brooklyn brewery makes a black chocolate stout that i LOVE to drink in winter. there is something extra cozy about a good stout-beer buzz in a warm house when it's cold outside. now if only it would snow here...

EMC said...

Miss Jacobs--I would make it snow if I could! And probably share a stout with you...