26 August 2008

Pork chops with tomato and onion "stuff"


So I know I'm supposed to have sophisticated terms for cooking, and I know I should have "tags" for sides and main dishes I cook, but I just can't get used to calling anything "compote" or "salsa," knowing full well I mean "stuff that covers the meat" or some other configuration of that phrase. I also realize that my students now have access to this blog, meaning I must come up with other words for compote or salsa that do not involve "s" words....
Tonight was a great one, albeit one laden with computer flubs and strange flickers from the blue-screen-of death-beyond. In honor of the great first week of school I have had thus far, I made pork chops.
I know what you're thinking. Why pork chops as a celebration? Especially if you bought said pork chops at WinCo, where most meat is full of fat and very cheap. Well.....I have a fondness for pork chops. It's a comfort food, and I had a recipe burning under my cooking apron for many days.
In the above picture: pork chops and tomato-onion-basil "stuff," whole grain mustard glazed potatoes, and 'Romano' Italian broad green beans from the ever awesome Moscow Farmer's Market.
Pork Chops with Tomato-Onion "Stuff"
4 pork chops, preferably a little thicker than a deck of cards
2 tbl. olive oil
1 onion, sliced thinly
3 heirloom tomatoes, diced
4 tbl. fresh chopped basil
2 cloves garlic
1 tbl. balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper
Directions
1. Season pork chops with salt and pepper (pork should be at room temperature). Heat 1 1/2 tbl. oil in a skillet and add onion; cook until tender and transfer to a plate. Add pork with remaining oil and cook until.....well, cooked. Remove and transfer to a plate.
2. Return onions to skillet. Add tomatoes, basil and garlic, cooking until tomatoes are tender. Add balsamic vinegar and stir through. Remove from heat. Add tomato-onion-basil mixture to pork chops.
Mustard Glazed Roasted Potatoes
4 red potatoes, diced
1 tbl. olive oil
2 tbl. whole grain mustard
Salt and Pepper
2 tbl. Italian parsley, chopped
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss potatoes with olive oil and whole grain mustard, and place in casserole dish, adding salt and pepper to desired proportions.
2. Bake potatoes for 30 minutes, or until tender. Note: I cover my potatoes for thirty minutes and then return them to the oven uncovered for about 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and add Italian parsley. Toss to coat.

2 comments:

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

Sure looks comforting!

EMC said...

Oh yes, it definitely was. There's something about pork chops...